Whether you attend a free performance at our istana (royal palace) lawn, visit our exhibitions, or attend a workshop about our culinary heritage, culture is present in many aspects of our daily lives – it is our lifestyle. It incorporates our qualities, convictions, traditions, dialects and customs. It is reflected in our history, legacy and the way we express our thoughts and imagination. It is also a key part of wellness and learning, and can play a role in healing and social development.
As our world is becoming increasingly diverse, it is becoming clear that in order to build communities that are successful at improving conditions and resolving problems, we need to understand and appreciate many cultures, establish relationships with people from cultures other than our own, and build strong alliances with different cultural groups. This has become all the more important in Singapore’s multi-ethnic and multi-cultural context.
Through our various programmes and initiatives, we want to showcase how our cultural heritage is fostered, strengthened, recorded and preserved, as well as how it is being expressed and re-interpreted. We would also like to share how we experience both our tangible and intangible cultural heritage and the role of culture as an economic driver.
However, the outbreak of the global COVID-19 pandemic has been unprecedented in how it has affected life here and around the world. Our arts and culture scene has not been spared. Performances, shows, exhibitions and other arts and cultural events which are the beating heart of the arts community and the nation’s cultural life, have been cancelled or deferred. This has dealt a crippling blow to our arts and cultural practitioners, cultural workers, and their families too.
This work of promotion, preservation and protection of our heritage cannot be done alone. We need you – our Culture Backers – to support our efforts. Your gift and contribution will enable us to continue our good work of promoting and safeguarding our shared heritage for all, and inspiring the next generation of ambassadors for a more long-term stewardship for our heritage. Together, we can make a difference.
Our Programmes and Initiatives
Our various programmes and initiatives include but not limited to, the following
- Organise and showcase exhibitions, cultural performances, seminars, workshops, talks, interactive activities, schools learning journeys, docent training and guided tours all year round, at the Malay Heritage Centre (MHC) in collaboration with the National Heritage Board (NHB).
- Talent development through the provision of internship programmes for post-secondary and tertiary students to engage and connect them with their heritage, mentoring and empowering youth-led organisations, awarding a book prize (the MHF Award) to reward excellence for the top Honours student at the Malay Studies Department, National University of Singapore.
- Build thought leadership through research and publications, seminar series featuring thought leaders of diverse backgrounds from the community, consultancy for placemaking for Kampong Gelam historic precinct and other areas of interests for the Malay community in Singapore.
With a gift to MHF, you will be joining an illustrious community of individuals and organisations who believe passionately in the power of culture and heritage to connect and bond us as a community.
Your gift to MHF is also eligible for the government’s Cultural Matching Fund which matches your gift on a one-to-one basis. In addition, as MHF is a non-profit organisation and a registered Charity that has been accorded the Institution of Public Character (IPC) status since May 2006, you will also be entitled to tax exemption of up to 2.5% for your generous donation.
To be eligible for this exemption within the calendar year, you will need to make your gift by 31 December each calendar year. For the purpose of issuing tax exempt receipt and auto-submission of your donations to IRAS, your tax particulars – name, NRIC/UEN/FIN, address and contact details are required.
Ways to donate
- Issue a cheque payable to “The Malay Heritage Foundation Ltd” and fill up your details. You can download the form here. The crossed cheque and duly completed form can be mailed to;
The Malay Heritage Foundation Ltd
85 Sultan Gate,
- MHF welcomes regular donation. You can conveniently donate online through Giving.SG at the link https://www.giving.sg/the-malay-heritage-foundation-ltd. You may choose to make a once-off or monthly donation.
- You can also do the Standing Instruction online through POSB/DBS Internet Banking. For the Standing Instruction to deduct your bank account for monthly donation, do email us at email@example.com for details of MHF bank account. Thereafter, update us once the application is successful.